The beginning and tradition
POLLENA-AROMA® is the oldest and the biggest Polish company involved in production of fragrant compositions and food aromas. It is also the Poland first company that launched on the market aromatherapeutic essential oils and cosmetic preparations based on aromatherapy principles.
It was originally the initiative of two Polish scientists, Prof. Janusz Kulesza and Prof. Włodzimierz Daniewski (both of them carried out research on scented substances), to form a company, which was supposed to supply the entire Polish industry with fragrances and aromas. In 1952, the Minister of Agriculture and Food Industry issued relevant instructions for setting up an undertaking “Warsaw Factory of Synthetic Fragrances under Construction”, located in Warsaw at Klasyków St. On December 16th, 1955, it was transformed into a governmental enterprise “Warsaw Factory of Synthetic Fragrances”. This enterprise, commonly known as AROMA® started operating in 1956 (we are 60 years old – still young, but experienced). The name “AROMA® “ was registered at the Patent Office in 1964. At the end of 1960s, the company was incorporated into the POLLENA Union, i.e. a group of enterprises specialized in cosmetics and household chemical products. Since that time it has been known as POLLENA-AROMA®.
Referring to the factory’s patron, Prof. Bronisław Radziszewski (a Polish scientist who in 1876 carried out the first synthesis of phenylethyl alcohol – a fragrant ingredient found in the oil of rose), the company attracted outstanding chemists who shared their technical knowledge. Research work conducted in the company’s laboratory and co-operating scientific institution as well as extensive business relations with prominent global firms rendered possible to make substantial enlargement of the factory (taking place from 1962 to 1964). Knowledgeable, highly skilled company’s employees and high quality products paved the way for entering the international markets. Since 1971, POLLENA-AROMA® has become a recognizable exporter supplying its aroma chemicals to reputable perfume manufacturers.
Some world-wide known products reflect interesting chapters of the Polish history. At the end of the 14th century, Elżbieta Łokietkówna from the Piast dynasty, who reigned over Hungary, invented and popularized in Europe the first in history alcohol-based perfume, known as “The Queen of Hungary’s Water” (Aqua Reginae Hungaricae). Being a pleasantly smelling preparation, it was also a remedy. Till the end of the 17th century, when Eau de Cologne was discovered, The Queen of Hungary’s Water was considered the most popular fragrance in all European manor-houses. It is still available at the LIBERTY department store in London. Our skilled perfumers were able to re-create the formula of this perfume, while artists reconstructed its wrapping in sophisticated leather box with silver and amber details. In 2000, the perfume replica in the luxurious etui entered the Polish market. The “Queen of Hungary’s Water” has been the most prestigious product of our company.
The old tradition has been also reflected by aromatherapeutic oils and cosmetics of the Dr Beta® series. It has been the first Polish collection of aromatherapeutic products. Polish aromatherapy has begun in “Aroma®”.
Since 1991, POLLENA-AROMA® has been a private company that entirely belongs to Polish shareholders (some of them have been our employees). The company’s activity is focused on maximum satisfaction of our clients.
Our goal is to offer the highest quality products, render the best service, give comprehensive information and anticipate our clients’ desires. Our products were awarded several prizes, for example, the Gold Medal of the International Trade Fair in Poznań (awarded twice). We were three times nominated by BCC (in 1996, 1997 and 2000) for a title “The Leader of the Polish Business” In 2000, we were awarded this title and the BCC statuette. In 1998 and 2000, we were among the laureates of the Przekrój prize “Gold Penny” and in 1996 we were a nominee for the prize “Silver Ace”.
Our regular customers (2000 domestic and 40 foreign clients) were pleased to acknowledge that in 1997, our company was granted the certificate ISO 9001 by the KEMA Registered Quality and the Polish Centre for Research and Certification.
Modern company and factory
In 2010, the shareholders decided to build a new production plant. The original location at Klasyków St. in Warsaw excluded modernization of factory installations and conformity of production processes to such requirements as GMP (Good Manufacturing Processes), HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) and European Union directives.
Additionally, our production plant in Warsaw has been surrounded over the time by residential buildings, hence, we would have to invest heavily in environmental protection. However, such investment was not feasible due to some economic and technical constrains. On the other hand, the investor and business friendly Municipality of Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki and an enterprise zone nearby made us to buy a piece of land and build a new factory. Since we planned to construct a factory conformable to modern, innovative technologies, we could apply for co-financing our investment by European Union funds. It allowed us to execute our whole plan. The production plant is now fully operational.
In 2016, we celebrated the 60th anniversary of “AROMA®” establishment and the 25th anniversary of POLLENA-AROMA®” Ltd.